Burlingame was just getting its start in the early 1900s. After the earthquake of 1906, things really started to bustle. However, there were few significant buildings in the center of town besides the train station.
So, in 1908, a specific building was commissioned at the southwest corner of Burlingame Avenue and California Drive. It's prominence was purposeful, especially for catching the eye of those disembarking from the train.
What was that building?